Getting the Help you Need

There may be more appropriate services for your problems, save time and find the right service here.

Many health conditions are conditions that can be treated through self-care and advice from the pharmacist. 

Pharmacists are qualified to offer clinical advice and can offer over the counter medication for a range of conditions so there is usually no need to see a doctor or nurse.

However, if your health condition is more serious and needs the attention of another healthcare professional, the pharmacist will advise you of this. 

Find a local pharmacist 

Your doctor or practice nurse is unable to advise or treat dental problems.
Find a local dentist here 

Wandsworth residents can call the Out of Hours Emergency Dental Service on 020 3402 1333.
They will be able to assess your needs via telephone and direct you to an emergency dentist if needed.
They are open from 5pm until 8am Monday to Friday, 24 hours over the weekends and 8.30am to 10pm on bank holidays.​

There is a dedicated Minor Eye Conditions Service that treats minor eye conditions including:

- Red eye or eyelids
- Dry eyes or gritty and uncomfortable eyes
- Irritation and inflammation of the eye
- Significant recent sticky discharge from the eye or watery eye
- Recently occurring flashes or floaters
- In-growing eyelashes
- Recent and sudden loss of vision
- Foreign body in the eye

This is a FREE NHS service for people of all ages (children under 16 years must be accompanied at their appointment by an adult). 

This is not for routine sight tests or pre existing conditions under hospital care.

Click here for more information about Primary Eyecare and how to make an appointment

For major eye problems, like severe red eye, pain or an accident involving trauma to the eye or visual loss, attend A&E.

Minor Injuries
Many minor injuries and joint problems can be dealt with at home.
For advice on managing minor injuries, ask your pharmacists.

Try the  Wandsworth getUbetter app which provides guided self care and support to manage the common joint complaints of:     
- Back pain
- Back pain with leg pain
- Neck pain 
- Knee pain
- Shoulder pain 
- Ankle and leg injuries
It also provides links to local services and referrals you can use if your symptoms are not improving.

Sign up to getUbetter here

First Contact Physio
For many injuries and worsening joint symptoms, we can now refer directly to the First Contact Physio.
There is no need to book an appointment with the GP. Just let the receptionist know the nature of your joint pain or injury and they can book you an assessment appointment.

Minor Injuries Unit or Urgent Care Centre
Cuts / burns / sprains / strains / suspected breaks / minor head injuries / bites and stings​
Find a Minor Injuries Unit or Urgent Care Centre near you

For severe injuries, accidents or severe bleeding attend A&E or call 999. 

There are a range of services available to support patients with mental health concerns.

For urgent out of hours support contact:
South West London Mental Health Support Line : 0800 028 800 (Monday to Friday 5pm to 9.00am and all weekend)
Samaritans:  call 116 123 (24hrs free helpline)
If you are having severe symptoms and do not feel you can keep yourself or others safe, we advise you attend A&E.

If this is not an emergency read our guide to mental health and links to more resources for mental health and  book a routine appointment with one of our team.

Getting help for others:
Some patients experiencing severe symptoms of psychosis may not always be able to recognise their symptoms.

They may be reluctant to talk to a GP if they believe there's nothing wrong with them. You may need to help them get support and treatment. Please contact their GP. 
If you feel it is an emergency, we advise you attend A&E or, if you feel someone is at risk of harm, call the Police.  

Adult Social Care teams can provide information, support and guidance to adults with care and support needs, and those who look after them.
This includes assessments for eligibility for help for people living at home, help with adaptations and aids and information about help with payments.

Wandsworth Adult Social Care
Lambeth Adult Social Care

Safeguarding refers to the measures we take to protect vulnerable individuals form abuse, harm or exploitation.

Vulnerable Child
A person is consider a child or young adult up to the age of 18 yrs. If you are concerned a child is or may be at risk please report your concerns
Call the police if there is a significant risk of harm
Call 101 for imminent risk 
Call 999 in the case of criminal activity

Vulnerable Adults
If you are concerned about a vulnerable adult (someone who is at risk of neglect, harm or abuse from others), this should be reported to adult social services or the police.

Wandsworth - contact 020 88717707 or email
Lambeth - contact 0207 926 5555 or complete an online form - you can choose to remain anonymous

Contact us online

Contact us online

If you need help with a non urgent medical issue you can now also contact us on line.
- advice and guidance on medical conditions and self care
- non urgent medical advice
- to submit an medical admin query

Messages are read by a member of the team within
2 working days 

Out of hours services

Find out more about which our out of hours services is best for you below. 



Keeping a well stocked medicine cabinet at home can help you manage a range of minor ailments and injuries. Colds, coughs, indigestion, and many other minor complaints can all be treated with medicines that are available over the counter. 
Medication for minor ailments.

Your pharmacist can advise on what you might find useful to keep in your medicine cabinet. Always follow the instructions on the medicine label and consult your doctor if the illness continues or becomes more severe.

Advice on self care along with guidance about when to be concerned and seek further advice for common minor conditions can be found here.

If you are still concerned, please speak to the pharmacist or contact NHS 111. 



Many minor health conditions are best treated at home with advice and over the counter medicines from your local pharmacist, if needed.

There is usually no need to see a doctor or nurse. However, if your health condition is more serious and needs the attention of another healthcare professional, the pharmacist will advise you of this. 

Problems a pharmacist can help you with.
Find a pharmacy 

Getting help from your pharmacy

NHS 111

NHS 111

NHS 111 is a free, easy to remember service to use when you need medical help fast, no matter where you are, or what time it is.

Use the NHS 111 online service or call 111 if you need help or advice urgently but it’s not a life threatening situation. You should use NHS 111 if:
- It’s not a 999 emergency
- You think you need to go to A&E/another NHS urgent care service
- You don’t think it can wait for an appointment with your GP
- You don’t know who to call for medical help

A&E or 999

A&E or 999

Call 999 when in a life-threatening emergency, if someone is seriously ill/injured, e.g. chest pain, difficulty breathing, unconsciousness, severe blood loss, severe burns, choking, fitting/concussion, drowning or severe allergic reactions.

A&E is for severe injuries/major illness. It can be hard to know whether to go to A&E. 
If it is not immediately life threatening before attending A&E consider: 
- ringing the doctor for an emergency appointment
- contacting NHS 111 service for advice. 

Walk-in centres and minor injury units treat most injuries and illnesses that are urgent but not life-threatening. Find nearby minory injury units.

© Copyright 2020 Streatham Park Surgery - All Rights Reserved